Thursday, December 19, 2013

Comics I read

I've been asked what comics I read, so assuming this gets read enough (probably not), I'll write about what pictures I read.

The Walking Dead


She doesn't come with it
The first time I read these bad boys was on the break season 2 had, so February 2012, caught up with where the comics are in about 4 days.

I was very much against reading comics in general because they simply seemed stupid. I expected there to be superpowers because all comic books have superpowers right? Nah, that turned out to be false. Within the first 20 pages I was hooked.


I immediately caught up with where it was in the TV show and passed by with no hesitation, dying to know what was going to happen next. I was not disappointed. A great ride is ahead.


One of the most boring characters ever

The Punisher

I wasn't too interested in reading about superheroes so my next book was this guy, Frank Castle. Specifically, the MAX series written by Garth Ennis.

He's an anti-hero who is a vigilante going after bad guys. Like Spider-Man. But does Peter Parker use kidnapping, extortion, guns, and torture? Nope. Driven by the deaths of his wife and two kids by the hands of the mob, Castle wages a war on the mob and all criminals in New York City. He is a master of martial arts, stealth tactics, guerrilla warefare and a wide variety of weapons, being a vet of Vietnam.

The Punisher would make a very cool Dexter-like TV series on HBO or Showtime I think, but sadly, there's only been movies.
Y: The Last Man
 
All men have been killed mysteriously except for one: Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand. Just minutes before he was on the phone with his traveling-abroad girlfriend and now all communication is dead and he wants to get to her in Australia from New York.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse, and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, and the belief that, barring a rapid, major scientific breakthrough or other extraordinary happening, humanity is doomed to extinction.
 
Since 2008, studios have been trying to make a movie or TV series with names such as Shia LeBeouf and Zachary Levi (from Chuck) starring.


Girls


It's set in a small Corner Gas-sized town. A guy finds a woman, lost and naked in the woods, and tries helping her. She doesn't speak much and refuses to wear clothes. The next day, it's discovered by townfolk that there is a dome surrounding them.

This is the part where I tell you this comic started in May 2005, exactly two years before The Simpsons Movie, and four before the Under the Dome book, so nice try.

Girls would be perfect to adapt for an HBO or Showtime mini-series of 13 episodes. There's violence, intensity, paranoid, there's nudity (not much), and has a close-ended story.

 

Marvel Zombies

Surprised? This is quite the book. I bought it because it fused something I like (zombies), into something I wasn't really crazy for (superpowers) and wow, what a comic haha. There's alternate universes therefore alternate versions of themselves including an ape world, and zombie versions of the superheroes are blood-thirsty for any living thing.

The non-infected superheroes are fighting against the infected counterparts. I'm halfway through, it's about 1200 pages.

I know I'm probably obsessed with saying so, but it would make a crazy movie trilogy, for sure. Imagine Robert Downey Jr playing two versions of Iron Man, one is infected, the other isn't? And there's also a gorilla version! Iron Mandrill. I'd watch it.
 
Those are the comics I've read or are currently reading. Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies are the only two listed that are still going. I much prefer reading comics that are finished, because then once I'm caught up, I gotta wait a month for each issue, like Walking Dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment